Saturday, December 19, 2009

7th Day of Christmas...





7 Ingredient Lemon Squares

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty sure I posted this recipe last year, but just in case I haven't, here's a recipe for lemon squares that is simple and now a command performance at my office Christmas Pot-Luck.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup melted butter
1.5 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/3 packed cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda (seems to be optional, since it comes out OK without it)

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix first four ingredients together, press into 9 inch pan. Do not bake yet.
3. Mix lemon juice and condensed milk in separate bowl until well mixed.
4. Add vanilla.
5. Pour juice/milk mix over crust.
6. Bake 20-25 minutes. It might still look a bit runny.
7. Cool or at least wait until warmish rather than hot to eat so you don't burn your mouth and can't enjoy them.

I've been tempted to add a thin layer of dark chocolate between the graham cracker crumbs and the lemon filling, but my husband can't have chocolate.

Recipe from "Company's Coming, 150 Delicious Squares" by Jean Pare which you can buy at their website here. This is one of my favourite books for desserts and I haven't had a bad recipe from it yet. In general, the Company's Coming series of books are wonderful, spend some time browsing if you like.

While I was looking for a photo to make the blog entry somewhat interesting, I came across the following recipe which eliminates the baking and is something that I might have to try at my sister's house at Christmas. The hard part appears to be waiting 24 hours to eat.

Cheers,

Sandy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Sandy..
Too funny but I went to save the No Bake recipe and guess what, I saved a copy last year (almost to the day!).. Now to make both recipes.. ;>) Gail