Sunday, January 11, 2009

My new favourite website...

A few days ago a good friend of mine from Texas sent me a couple of links to YouTube videos. Sometimes when I receive these e-mails I don't bother with the links, but sometimes I do. Was I ever glad for this one. Matt, the subject of the video has had 30 million hits on his website so many of you are probably already aware of him. But if you're not, check this out!



If you've got a faster computer, click on the YouTube Link here and then click on "watch in higher quality"

What an amazing and wonderful accomplishment. How many of us at the end of the day will be able to say that our work literally made millions smile? What a gift.

The website, http://wherethehellismatt.com/, easily has hours and hours of reading and there's an hour lecture on how he did what he did. I like how he's got impressions of the countries that he's visited. As someone who ultimately wants to see many other parts of the world, his website provides inspiration and opportunities for daydreaming.

He's got another video which you can see on his website or here.

One of my favourite rides when I was a kid was "It's a Small World" at Disneyland. Matt's video gives a bit of the same feel. I'm thinking this might inspire some Bottles of Hope, particularly given my mother's recent bottles.

I particularly love the source of the lyrics in the song in Matt's video. In Matt's FAQs he writes:

"The lyrics to "Praan" were taken from a poem by a Nobel Prize winning Indian author named Rabindranath Tagore. While the poem was written in Bengali (or Bangla), I chose it based on its English translation, which I later learned to be more of an interpretation that captures the spirit of the original without matching it word-for-word.

The English version of the poem is called "Stream of Life." Here it is:"
_____
The same stream of life
that runs through my veins night and day
runs through the world
and dances in rhythmic measures.

It is the same life
that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth
in numberless blades of grass
and breaks into tumultuous waves of leaves and flowers.

It is the same life
that is rocked in the ocean-cradle
of birth and of death,
in ebb and in flow.

I feel my limbs are made glorious
by the touch of this world of life.
And my pride is from the life-throb
of ages dancing in my blood this moment.


4 comments:

Gera Scott Chandler said...

I LOVED it Sandy- it made me smile and reach for the kleenexes too.

thanks so much
gera xo

Ellen Lyn said...

Hi Sandy!
Thanks for visiting my blog and best of luck in the drawing!! I love this video too--and loved the "small world" ride at Disney when I was a kid as well!!
xoxox,
Ellen

Gera Scott Chandler said...

You know how much I love your blog... you've been tagged for a major award!...check my blog for info

xo

gera

Anonymous said...

Yeah I was one of the 30 Mil who've already seen this and loved it! That must have been so fun and so inspiring to do something like that. Makes you almost wish you could drop everything, grab a camera and head off into the great big world!