Saturday, March 7, 2009

My Guild demo tin


Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago I demonstrated how to to cover a tin with scrap clay at Guild. Here's the tin that I made as a demo.

I think clayers divide into two groups - those that generate scrap clay and those that don't. I, unfortunately, am in the former group and always have tons of scrap clay around.

But thank goodness for Pearlex and others types of powders. They cover scrap clay beautifully as long as you're generous with the powder and you'd never know that this started off as an ugly sheet of brownish clay. I use a make-up brush to apply the powder, then run the clay with the texture sheet through the pasta machine. I re-powder again, apply to the tin, repowder to touch up if needed, then bake. I've been covering tins like this for a couple of years and I have yet to run out of any of my small Pearlex containers that I bought from Michaels a few years ago so my definition of generous means you use a bit more than you would if you were using your finger to dab.

This tin is about 4 inches across and 2 inches tall. I buy them at the Dollarama. I love them since there are no hinges to futz with and they're big enough that they can be on display in the house.

Anyhow - Barb has laid claim to the tin. The group seemed to enjoy the class and those that generated scrap clay liked the idea that it didn't have to be all mud.

Cheers,

Sandy

2 comments:

Diana S said...

Thank you for this explanation! I was just playing with textures and powders yesterday and couldn't figure out how to get the texture imbedded deep enough. It never occurred to me to bring it through the pasta machine with the clay.
How do you get the clay to stick to the tin before baking? Do you use glue or does it just stick on it's own?
I love the stamps and colors you used!

Sandy said...

Hi Diana,

Make sure you've got your pasta machine on the thickest setting when you run the texture sheet through.

As far as sticking to tins, there are a couple of schools of thought on it. Some sand and then apply a thin layer of weldbond glue, and dry before attaching the clay. I would probably do that for something that's going to get a lot of use. But if it's just a tin that is going on a shelf to look pretty, I don't bother. As I'm applying the clay to the tin I use a gentle pressure to get it to stick.

Welcome to claying!