Saturday, July 5, 2008

Bev and Wendy's bezel and cabochon kits

Hi Everyone,

This post has been a long time coming and apologies to Bev and Wendy who are probably wondering why I haven't written about them. It's simply because I've been waiting until I created something wondrous with their new tools. But, since I don't seem to have time or focus for anything other than a few minutes here or there, I haven't done anything terrific yet and my stuff doesn't do the tools justice just yet.

Bev, whom you all know from my previous posts, is able to generate beautiful stamps that are perfect for clay. Her website is here. She belongs to our Southern Ontario Polymer Clay Guild. Wendy is another guild member, gets less mention in my blogs, but probably should get more mention due to her generosity and talent. Wendy has an Etsy site which you can find here which currently lists her unique Remembrance Vessels.

Anyhow, the two of them are great friends and have come up with a nice set of tools - the bezel and cabochon stamps. They taught us how to use them a month ago and you've seen some samples of the bezels in my previous postings of pinata ink mistakes. I forget the price of them off-hand, I know they're more expensive than the conventional stamps that Bev sells because there is a lot more material used with these. When I find out I'll post the price here.

The stamps are very easy to work with. I've been using the bezels for a lot of my playing around with liquid clay since the frame holds the liquid quite nicely. I'm also happy to say that I've decided that all is not lost with Lisa Pavelka's Magic Glos since it works very well with the smaller bezels (I will post more later). The idea is that you can fit the cabochon into the frame once you've decorated the cabochon. Here are a pair of earrings that I did with the stamps and I've received several nice comments on them at work. I'm thinking of trying to make a bracelet with the small squares - that would be easy enough I would think.

There are three sets - the smaller frames, the larger frames, and the irregular shaped frames. Using a pair of nail scissors (the ones with the slight curve) makes cutting out the curved frames very easy. Bev and Wendy put a lot of thought into the design and the small circle frame can be cut out using a Kemper circle cutter.

The cabochons on the larger frames are slightly undersized for the frames. They seem to work best if you bake a base cabochon from the stamp and then cover it with a layer of decorative clay and then re-bake. This is an intentional design element for just this reason.

Anyhow, I've got to get ready for work (on a Saturday!) and I'll have to end the posting here. If anyone is interested in why I'm so busy these days in my real life, take a look here (make sure to watch the video). I'm responsible for the air quality assessment portion of this project and I'm busy setting up the model runs and doing public consultation on the project.

Tomorrow we've got a play clay day scheduled with some of the local gals - I might have more to show tomorrow. It's a beautiful sunny day here and I hope that others get to enjoy it.

Cheers,

Sandy

No comments: