Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cindy Lietz's new method for skinner blends

Hi All,

I've been a fan of Cindy Lietz' Polymer Clay Tutor http://www.beadsandbeading.com/blog/ website for as long as I've known about it. She publishes wonderful videos and provides a lot of insight into claying. Her teaching style is very helpful.

She originally was offering her services for free but has now moved to a members only approach to the videos and to the colour recipes. The price is very reasonable, $9.95 each 90 days and that gets you a video a week and free colour recipes that work great if you're a Premo user.

I consider myself an intermediate/advanced clayer and there was almost always an "oooh, I never thought of that" moment in even some of her most basic videos. I decided not to sign up for her members group for a couple of reasons, the first being I'm not a Premo user (go Kato!) so the colour recipes are limited for me, and the second that I tend to like my techniques illustrated in book form.

But I would very strongly recommend Cindy's membership site for those that are intimidated by clay, don't have the resources to buy hundreds of dollars of books, or for those that don't have a strong colour sense, and any beginners. If nothing else, try it for three months and see if you like it.

But the purpose of my posting really is to let you know that Cindy has developed a quicker way and possibly less confusing way of doing a skinner blend and has graciously posted her video for free for a limited time only. I haven't tried the technique yet, but am intrigued with the possibilities and look forward to seeing how quickly it does work when I go to do my next skinner blends.

Please go check out her website. All she asks is that you leave a comment. I'm happy to be a reference for her as she really does do great work in teaching.

Thanks, Cindy, for publishing this. The generosity of clayers that are willing to share their knowledge is one of the wonderful things about the claying world.

Cheers,

Sandy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy! Thank you so much for writing this, it was very lovely of you! I hope your readers enjoy the information on this cool teardrop method of doing a skinner blend!

If your readers want a direct link to the post on the free video, they can click my name, I have it linked there.

I love it that even an intermediate/advanced clayer like yourself has "almost always an "oooh, I never thought of that" moment in even some of her most basic videos." That is very satisfying to hear as a teacher and means a lot to me.

There is a tiny correction on the membership fees. It's actually $9.95 for three months which is a 66% discount off purchasing the back issues individually. Also I do include some color recipes for Fimo as well as Premo. When Kato clay is more available to the average consumer then I'll include recipes for it as well.

Thank you again for all your support and your great work here on this blog. You are a great asset to the polymer clay community and I'm sure your readers very much appreciate you as well!