Sunday, June 1, 2008

What a switch - clay tools for hardware tasks...

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd post about a "reverse inspiration" I had. Our front door was accidentally covered in the wrong kind of paint last year and we've been watching it flake off over the course of the winter. So we've decided to strip it.

Here is a photo of the door after a lot of stripping has been done. The main part was pretty easy and now we're down to the fiddly trim to do as you can see in the photo.

Yesterday as I was working on it and whethering wouldn't it be easier to buy a new door (it is, but apparently we've got a very good quality door so it would be expensive), I was down to using my fingernails to do the tiny details. I was thinking to myself that I need a small version of a paint scraper.

And then the light bulb went off - I have clay tools that work as metal fingernails! Brought up these two tools and was as thrilled as I could be under the circumstances (which are that I still have to strip the door).
Here's the detail on the door after I've gone at it with the tools. I still use my fingernails but the clay thingies are very helpful. And we've still got a long way to go, all told it'll take probably 20 hours to finish the door.

We were going to call the original painter back to do it but since he didn't do a great job to start we decided it wasn't worth it.

While I promise not to post too many home renovation tasks here, I just loved how it's normally I'm in hardware stoors getting inspiration for clay but this time it's using clay tools for inspiration on how to make a hardware task easier.

That's it for now, next up - pinata inks and plastic flakes.

Cheers,

Sandy

No comments: